The Terlato Family
For more than 70 years, the Terlato family has helped to grow and shape the wine industry in the United States. Through four generations, the family's passion for and commitment to quality has shone through by way of the incredible wines that they have brought to the table of the American wine drinker.
Today the family is producing wines of the highest quality from their California vineyards and wineries: Sanford, Chimney Rock, Rutherford Hill and Terlato Vineyards. Each of these wineries produces wines following the Terlato family’s vision and philosophy, which is founded on five quality centric elements:
- Family ownership and involvement
- Great vineyards, and farming them thoughtfully, sustainably and with great care
- A crystal clear vision of the type and style of wines we wish to produce; knowing with great certainty that our vision is inextricably tied to our vineyards and the quality of fruit our vineyards are capable of producing (this is often referred to as producing wines that are representations of their vineyards)
- Working alongside talented, intelligent, thoughtful, articulate and creative winemakers who are passionately committed to making great wines and who share the vision of our family
- Making wines that are beautiful and balanced, while also being age-worthy
The stability and vision of the family allows for a very long and multi-generational view of vineyard management and winemaking. This ensures that our estate will continue to be sustainably managed and farmed with a focus on healthy vines and a healthy ecosystem, not just short term returns.